CIHR Strategic Grants identify a specific topic or health challenge for researchers to address.
- Strategic grants are sometimes launched quickly in response to a national or international crisis, and other grants are planned well in advance as large multi-year initiatives.
- Each month, multiple Strategic grants are launched through ResearchNet and award amounts can range from a few thousand to millions of dollars.
- Background information on Strategic grants is available here.
- There are opportunities for UBC faculty to hold leadership positions at the CIHR Institutes that sponsor these Strategic grants. Please click here more information.
Find out what Strategic grant competitions are currently open for applications and what's new with this portfolio (CWL required). SPARC maintains a list of funding opportunities and competition pre-announcements with additional helpful information. Updated daily!
- ResearchNet, which lists all Strategic grant opportunities
- Interpretation guidelines for the evaluation criteria in the peer review guideline (above); only applicable for operating, catalyst, team, and emerging team grant applications
- How to contact CIHR: 613-954-1968; 1-888-603-4178; firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: For SPARC support for the CIHR Strategic portfolio, please contact Tessa Cheng.
Kick off your Strategic grant development, writing, and/or revising process with the following SPARC supports:
Strategic grant workshops
- Beyond CIHR Project and Foundation: Faculty members at all career stages are invited to an information session and discussion on SPARC-supported health research funding opportunities beyond CIHR Project and Foundation Grants. Topics covered will include other CIHR calls (e.g., Catalyst), health charities (e.g., Heart & Stroke Foundation), and international opportunities such as the US Department of Defense (DoD), National Institutes of Health (NIH), and the Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI). This information session is held periodically. Please check the SPARC webpage or SPARC Connects (monthly newsletter) for updates about upcoming sessions.
Online Resources for Strategic Grants (CWL required)
- Please click here to view SPARC's online resources for Strategic Grants.
- Topics include: how to develop KT plans, how to address CIHR's sex and gender expectations, and systematic reviews
Individual & Unit Consultation
- Contact Tessa Cheng to strategize or discuss your grant
SPARC offers editorial assistance to strengthen the final draft of an application in order to improve the readability, flow and layout of the research proposal:
- Full review: SPARC provides editorial review of the full proposal
- Module review: SPARC review of an application section (e.g., budget justification) or sub-section of the proposal (e.g., knowledge translation plan)