The Collaborative Research and Training Experience (CREATE) Program supports the training and mentoring of teams of highly qualified students and postdoctoral fellows from Canada and abroad through the development of innovative training programs.
These training programs:
- should encourage collaborative and integrative approaches, and address significant scientific challenges associated with Canada’s research priorities;
- should facilitate the transition of new researchers from trainees to productive employees in the Canadian workforce; and
- must foster the acquisition and development of important professional skills among students and postdoctoral fellows that complement their qualifications and technical skills, and improve their job readiness for careers in industry, government, non-governmental organizations and/or academia.
Please note: There is a limit on participation in multiple active CREATE initiatives, whereby an individual researcher may participate in a maximum of two CREATE initiatives as either an applicant or co-applicant. Additionally, researchers may be the applicant on one CREATE initiative annually.
- Focus must be on training graduate students
- Three stage application: UBC Internal Competition, NSERC Letter of Intent (LOI), and NSERC Application.
- International stream applications not required to take part in the UBC Internal Competition in their first two attempts at funding as they are not part of the institutional quota. However, please inform SPARC and ORS of your intent to apply.
- Value: $1.65M over 6 years.
- 80% of funds must go to trainee stipends
UBC is permitted to submit six (6) proposals to the NSERC CREATE LOI competition. Proposal selection will occur through an internal selection peer-review process. If you intend to apply as a lead applicant, please inform Mika Johnson.
2020 Internal Competition Timeline and Process (now complete)
- UBC’s Internal LOI Competition Deadline: Wednesday, February 19th 2020, noon.
- Submissions can be emailed to Mika Johnson.
- Applicants will receive initial feedback from the Internal Selection Committee in the first week of March and will be asked to revise and resubmit by mid-March.
- Notice of selection and feedback from the Internal Selection Committee is due back to applicants by the end of March 2020.
- Application instructions and cover page for the 2020 Internal Competition are available here.
- Presentation Materials - SPARC Workshop Content and NSERC Webinar Slides
- Sample Grant Library
- Internal Competition Application Instructions and Cover Page