Insight Development Grants support research in its initial stages. The grants enable the development of new research questions, as well as experimentation with new methods, theoretical approaches and/or ideas.
Funding is provided for short-term research development projects, of up to two years, proposed by individuals or teams.
Insight Development Grants foster research in its early stages, but are not intended to support large-scale initiatives. Long-term support for research is offered through SSHRC’s Insight Grants.
- Application Deadline: February 1st
- Please adhere to internal UBC deadlines
- Funding available to both emerging and established scholars, for 1-2 year projects
- Minimum Request: $7,000
- Maximum Request: $75,000
- 50% (minimum) of budget envelope reserved for emerging scholars
- Apply through the Research Portal
- Applications require a Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Guidelines: include application forms/instructions, checklists, scoring/evaluation grids, etc.
- Workshop Materials: past presentation slides available
- Sample Grant Library: Most are available electronically; all are available as hard copies for in-office viewing at SPARC. Please contact Danica Kell to make an appointment.
- ORS Submission/Signature Guidelines
2018 Competition Workshops:
Workshop for Re-Applicants: Wednesday, November 15th, 2017, 1:30pm-3:30pm
Workshop for New Applicants: Thursday, November 16th, 2017, 1:30pm-3:30pm
Peer-Editing Module Workshops:
Knowledge Mobilization Plan & Expected Outcomes Summary: Thursday, January 11th - 1:30pm-3:30pm
Student Training: Tuesday, January 16th - 1:30pm-3:30pm
1-page Research Summary: Friday, January 19th - 1:30pm-3:30pm
Applicants who successfully complete the Internal Peer Review program will be invited to submit second drafts to SPARC for a full proposal review by or before January 24th, 2018.
All applicants can submit their 1 pg Research Summary and/or their Expected Outcomes Summary for module review by or before January 24th, 2018.
November 22, 2017
Email Danica Kell (firstname.lastname@example.org) noting your intent to participate in Internal Review (IR)
November 27, 2017
Email Danica Kell (email@example.com) a copy of your 1 pg research summary, to be used for reviewer matching purposes. Then, please look for a confirmation email outlining your next required steps (e.g., submission of 1-page research summary, research evaluation group details, etc.).
December 4, 2017
Email the following application modules, in a single Word document (for ease of reviewing) to Danica Kell:
- Revisions to Previous Application (if applicable; optional)
- Summary of Proposal
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Roles and Training of Students
- Knowledge Mobilization Plan
- Expected Outcomes (Scholarly, Societal, and Potential Target Audiences)
- Funds Requested From SSHRC & Justification
- Detailed Description
- List of References
- Proposed vs. ongoing research (required for established scholars only)
December 18, 2017
Receive and incorporate reviewer feedback; if possible, meet with reviewer for discussion/follow-up
Adhere to ORS guidelines