Insight Development Grants support research in its initial stages. The grants enable the development of new research questions, as well as experimentation with new methods, theoretical approaches and/or ideas.
Funding is provided for short-term research development projects, of up to two years, proposed by individuals or teams.
Insight Development Grants foster research in its early stages, but are not intended to support large-scale initiatives. Long-term support for research is offered through SSHRC’s Insight Grants.
- Application Deadline: February 2nd
- Full submission timelines and instructions can be found on the ORS webpage.
- Funding available to both emerging and established scholars, for 1-2 year projects
- Minimum Request: $7,000
- Maximum Request: $75,000
- 50% (minimum) of budget envelope reserved for emerging scholars
- Apply through the Research Portal
- Applications require a Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Guidelines: include application forms/instructions, checklists, scoring/evaluation grids, etc.
- Workshop Materials: past presentation slides available
- Sample Grant Library: Most are available electronically; all are available as hard copies for in-office viewing at SPARC. Please contact Danica Kell to make an appointment.
- ORS Submission/Signature Guidelines
2021 Competition Workshops:
Information and schedule to be posted Winter 2020
Applicants who successfully complete the Internal Peer Review program will be invited to submit second drafts to SPARC for a full proposal review.
All applicants can submit their 1 pg Research Summary and/or their Expected Outcomes Summary for module review.
November 30, 2020
Email Danica Kell (firstname.lastname@example.org) noting your intent to participate in Internal Review (IR)
December 7, 2020
Email the following application modules, in a single Word document (for ease of reviewing) to Danica Kell:
- Revisions to Previous Application (if applicable; optional)
- Summary of Proposal
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Roles and Training of Students
- Knowledge Mobilization Plan
- Expected Outcomes (Scholarly, Societal, and Potential Target Audiences)
- Funds Requested From SSHRC & Justification
- Detailed Description
- List of References
- Proposed vs. ongoing research (required for established scholars only)
December 21, 2020
Receive and incorporate reviewer feedback; if possible, meet with reviewer for discussion/follow-up
Adhere to ORS guidelines