The Foundation Grant is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of health research leaders by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact programs of research across CIHR’s mandate.
- Programs of research are expected to include integrated, thematically-linked research, knowledge translation, and mentoring/training components.
- Eligible applicants will include new/early-career, mid-career and established researchers, all of whom are independent researchers with demonstrable track records of excellence and impact in their fields of study.
- Established investigators (i.e., researchers who are beyond 5 years from their first independent faculty appointment)
- Funding Term:
- 7 years
- Application Stages & Deadlines (via CIHR's ResearchNet portal):
- Registration: due August 8, 2017;
- Stage 1: due September 12, 2017;
- Stage 2: due February 6, 2018.
- CV Requirements (via Canadian Common CV portal):
- Registration: Foundation Registration CV;
- Stages 1 and 2: Foundation CV.
- Budget Requirements:
- Registration: high-level budget estimate;
- Stage 1: none;
- Stage 2: full budget module, including 3,500-character justification.
- Peer Review Stages:
- Stage 1: online reviews by 4-5 reviewers;
- Stage 2: online reviews by 4-5 different reviewers;
- Final Assessment Stage: face-to-face discussion of "grey zone" applicants by interdisciplinary committee.
- Foundation Grant Program homepage: access CIHR's Latest Updates, with links to Eligibility, Application Process (incl. instruction materials), Review Process, Results details, etc.
- Note: The 2017 Foundation Grant funding opportunity is available at:
- Questions: 613-954-1968; 1-888-603-4178; firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Christy McTait (604-827-5615)
SPARC provides a comprehensive suite of Foundation Grant support services and resources for researchers and research staff as outlined below.
To find out if the Foundation Grant is the right competition for you, please consult the following SPARC resources and refer to the CIHR Foundation Grant Program homepage for full competition details.
- May/June 2017
Newsletter & 2017 Foundation Email List
- Subscribe to SPARC Connects, our monthly newsletter, to follow the latest Foundation Grant developments at CIHR and SPARC.
- Contact Christy McTait to be added to SPARC's 2017 Foundation email list to receive timely updates and competition support.
Individual & Unit Consultation
If you’re trying to determine whether the Foundation Grant is right for you, contact Christy McTait to schedule a consultation.
- Stage 1: June/July 2017
- Stage 2: December 2017/January 2018
Strategic Grant Workshops
- Stage 1: N/A for the 2017 competition, given the summer timeline; however, the Cheat Sheet resources highlighted below follow a "workshop-style" process
- Stage 2: N/A for the 2017 competition, with 1:1 consultations provided instead
A UBC CWL is required to access some of the following SPARC resources (e.g., sample grants) while others are shared directly with applicants and affiliated research staff via emails from Christy McTait (e.g., application templates).
- Guidelines, Tips & Templates: Utilize the following resources to develop your most competitive research proposal. Note: These items are currently distributed via email. Please contact Christy McTait to request copies.
Stage 1: Cheat Sheet for New Applicants; Cheat Sheet for Reapplicants; CIHR Information and SPARC Recommendations (e.g., sentence prompts, content development tips, layout suggestions); Additional Tips for Applicant Groups (mid-career, biomedical, clinical, female applicants, etc.)
Stage 2: Application Template
- Sample Grant Library: Access successful grant applications that have been generously shared by UBC researchers using your UBC CWL.
Contact Christy McTait to schedule a Foundation Grant development consultation session, for example to discuss a brand-new application or strategize a resubmission.
- Stage 1: July/August 2017
- Stage 2: January 2018
Internal Review (scientific peer feedback)
- Stage 1: 1:1 virtual review with feedback on the Summary and Vision & Program Direction sections from a UBC Foundation Grant holder; available from July 10 to August 18, 2017.
- Stage 2: 1:1 virtual review with feedback on the Research Concept, Research Approach and Expertise sections for a UBC Foundation Grant holder; details TBC after CIHR's December 7, 2017 Stage 1 Anticipated Notice of Decision.
SPARC Review (editorial feedback)
- Stage 1: SPARC provides written feedback (e.g., suggestions to address content gaps, clarify meaning, improve readability and enhance impact) on the full application in order to strengthen the final submission; available from July 10 to September 1, 2017
- Note: If you are working with your own Faculty-/Institute-based grant facilitator or research office and receiving similar support (e.g., BCCHR), please make your own arrangements directly with them. This way, SPARC can maximize UBC researcher access to grant support by providing it to those who do not have local access.
- Stage 2: SPARC will aim to provide written feedback, at minimum, on the five scored sections of the application (Research Concept, Research Approach, Expertise, Mentorship & Training, Quality of Support Environment) or, ideally, the full application including Budget Justification, depending on the number of UBC applicants invited to Stage 2; details TBC after December 7, 2017.
If you are getting ready to submit your application, please consult the following UBC and CIHR resources to confirm your requirements:
- UBC Office of Research Services – Agency Application Requirements & Procedures (note: if a specific "CIHR Foundation Grant" option is not available in the drop-down menu, refer instead to "CIHR eSubmission Procedures (Institutional e-Approval)" link for an overview)
- UBC Okanagan Office of Research Services – Applying for Funding and Internal Deadlines
- CIHR Foundation Grant Funding Opportunity webpage – refer to Submission Requirements in the How to Apply section
- Stage 1: early/mid-September 2017
- Stage 2: late January/early February 2018
CIHR introduced the Foundation Grant in 2014. The data below comes from CIHR's Foundation Grant Funding Decisions Notifications.
|Total Submitted - National||600||910||1366|
|Total Funded - National||76||120||150|
|Success Rate - National||13%||13%||11%|
|Total Funding - National||$199.7M||$323.2M||$408.9M|