The Foundation Grant is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of health research leaders by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact programs of research across CIHR’s mandate.
- Programs of research are expected to include integrated, thematically-linked research, knowledge translation, and mentoring/training components.
- Eligible applicants will include new/early-career, mid-career and established researchers, all of whom are independent researchers with demonstrable track records of excellence and impact in their fields of study.
- Funding Term:
- Early Career Investigators (within 5 years of 1st faculty appointment): 5 years;
- Established Investigators: 7 years.
- Application Stages & Deadlines (via CIHR's ResearchNet portal):
- Registration: due August 8, 2017;
- Stage 1: due September 12, 2017;
- Stage 2: due February 6, 2018.
- CV Requirements (via Canadian Common CV portal):
- Registration: Foundation Registration CV;
- Stages 1 and 2: Foundation CV.
- Budget Requirements:
- Registration: high-level budget estimate;
- Stage 1: none;
- Stage 2: full budget module, including justification.
- Peer Review Stages:
- Stage 1: online reviews by 4-5 reviewers;
- Stage 2: online reviews by 4-5 different reviewers;
- Final Assessment Stage: face-to-face discussion of "grey zone" applicants by interdisciplinary committee.
- Foundation Grant Program homepage: access CIHR's Latest Updates, with links to Eligibility, Application Process (incl. instruction materials), Review Process, Results details, etc.
- Note: The 2017 Foundation Grant funding opportunity is available at:
- Questions: 613-954-1968; 1-888-603-4178; firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Christy McTait (604-827-5615)
SPARC provides a comprehensive suite of Foundation Grant support services and resources for researchers and research staff as outlined below.
To find out if the Foundation Grant is the right competition for you, please consult the following SPARC resources and refer to the CIHR Foundation Grant Program homepage for full competition details.
- May/June 2017
For the 2016 competition, SPARC implemented new strategic grant development workshops (described in the Project & Proposal Development section below), instead of general information sessions. 2017 support details TBC.
Note: The 2015 Foundation Stage 1 information session materials are still relevant, given that the Stage 1 requirements have remained the same and are not expected to change for the 2017 competition. See the sidebar for Workshop Materials tab.
Newsletter & 2017 Foundation Email List
- Subscribe to SPARC Connects, our monthly newsletter, to follow the latest Foundation Grant developments at CIHR and SPARC.
- Contact Christy McTait to be added to SPARC's 2017 Foundation email list to receive timely updates and competition support.
Individual & Unit Consultation
If you’re trying to determine whether the Foundation Grant is right for you, contact Christy McTait to schedule a consultation.
- Stage 1: June/July 2017
- Stage 2: December 2017/January 2018
Strategic Grant Workshops
- Stage 1: June 2017 (TBC), with corresponding cheat sheets and recordings distributed by Christy McTait:
- New Applicant Caliber + CV Brainstorm;
- New Applicant Vision & Program Direction Test Your Concept;
- Reapplicant Revision Kick-Start;
- Reapplicant 1:1 drop-in to discuss CIHR feedback.
- Stage 2: December 2017 Roundtable Q&A with UBC Awardees and CIHR Reviewers (TBC).
- Guidelines, Tips & Templates: Utilize these resources (e.g., application development cheat sheets, best practices recommendations) to develop your most competitive research proposal. Note: These items are currently distributed via email. Please contact Christy McTait to request copies.
- Sample Grant Library: Access successful grant applications that have been generously shared by UBC researchers using your UBC CWL.
- Presentation Materials: 2016 workshop resources are available directly from Christy McTait, with minimal changes anticipated for 2017.
Contact Christy McTait to schedule a Foundation Grant development consultation session.
- Stage 1: July/August 2017
- Stage 2: January 2018
- Small Panel Review: New in 2016, SPARC organized small discussion groups comprised of 3-4 faculty researchers who provided each other with written feedback and engaged in face-to-face discussion to strengthen proposals prior to submission; 2017 details TBC.
- Full Review: SPARC, in partnership with Faculty-/Institute-based grant facilitators, provides written feedback on Stage 1 and Stage 2 applications, making suggestions to address content gaps, clarify meaning, improve readabilility and enhance impact in order to strengthen the final submission.
SPARC's review period for 2017 Stage 1 is TBC.
- Module Review: At Stage 2, SPARC also offers targeted reviews of the Budget Justification section. These reviews can be conducted in conjunction with a full SPARC Review or independently, according to researcher preference and SPARC availability.
If you are getting ready to submit your application, please consult the following UBC and CIHR resources to confirm your requirements:
- UBC Office of Research Services – Agency Application Requirements & Procedures (note: if a specific "CIHR Foundation Grant" option is not available in the drop-down menu, refer instead to "CIHR eSubmission Procedures (Institutional e-Approval)" link for an overview)
- UBC Okanagan Office of Research Services – Applying for Funding and Internal Deadlines
- CIHR Foundation Grant Funding Opportunity webpage – refer to Submission Requirements in the How to Apply section
- Stage 1: early/mid-September 2017
- Stage 2: late January/early February 2018
CIHR introduced the Foundation Grant in 2014. The data below comes from CIHR's Foundation Grant Funding Decisions Notifications.
|Total Submitted - National||1366||910|
|Total Funded - National||150||120|
|Success Rate - National||11%||13%|
|Total Funding - National|