The Foundation Grant is designed to contribute to a sustainable foundation of health research leaders by providing long-term support for the pursuit of innovative and high-impact programs of research across CIHR’s mandate.
- Programs of research are expected to include integrated, thematically-linked research, knowledge translation, and mentoring/training components.
- Eligible applicants include established researchers, including mid-career and senior researchers, with demonstrable track records of excellence and impact in their fields of study.
- Established investigators (i.e., researchers who are beyond 5 years from their first independent faculty appointment)
- Funding Term:
- 7 years
- Application Stages & Deadlines (via CIHR's ResearchNet portal):
- Registration: 2017 competition closed; 2018 competition dates TBD
- Stage 1: 2017 competition closed; 2018 competition dates TBD
- Stage 2: 2017 competition closed; 2018 competition dates TBD.
- CV Requirements (via Canadian Common CV portal):
- Registration: Foundation Registration CV;
- Stages 1 and 2: Foundation CV.
- Budget Requirements:
- Registration: high-level budget estimate;
- Stage 1: none;
- Stage 2: full budget module, including 3,500-character justification.
- Peer Review Stages:
- Stage 1: online reviews by 4-5 reviewers;
- Stage 2: online reviews by 4-5 different reviewers;
- Final Assessment Stage: face-to-face discussion of "grey zone" applicants by interdisciplinary committee.
- Foundation Grant Program homepage: access CIHR's Latest Updates, with links to Eligibility, Application Process (incl. instruction materials), Review Process, Results details, etc.
- Note: The 2018 competition has not been announced, so check the archived 2017 Foundation Grant funding opportunity details for an overview of what to expect: https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca/rnr16/viewOpportunityDetails.do?browseArc=true&fodAgency=CIHR&org=CIHR&progCd=10771&view=browseArchive&language=E.
- Questions: 613-954-1968; 1-888-603-4178; email@example.com
Contact: Christy McTait (604-827-5615)
SPARC provides a comprehensive suite of Foundation Grant support services and resources for researchers and research staff as outlined below.
To find out if the Foundation Grant is the right competition for you, please consult the following SPARC resources and refer to the CIHR Foundation Grant Program homepage for full competition details.
- April/May/June 2018 (TBC)
Newsletter & 2018 Foundation Email List
- Subscribe to SPARC Connects, our monthly newsletter, to follow the latest Foundation Grant developments at CIHR and SPARC.
- Contact Christy McTait to be added to SPARC's 2018 Foundation email list to receive timely updates and competition support.
Individual & Unit Consultation
If you’re trying to determine whether the Foundation Grant is right for you, contact Christy McTait to schedule a consultation.
- Stage 1: June/July 2018 (TBC)
- Stage 2: December 2018/January 2019 (TBC)
Strategic Grant Workshops
- Stage 1: TBD for the 2018 competition, given the anticipated summer timeline; however, the Cheat Sheet resources highlighted below follow a "workshop-style" process
- Stage 2: TBD for the 2018 competition; 1:1 consultations may be offered in lieu
A UBC CWL is required to access some of the following SPARC resources (e.g., sample grants) while others are shared directly with applicants and affiliated research staff via emails from Christy McTait (e.g., application templates).
- Guidelines, Tips & Templates: Utilize the following resources to develop your most competitive research proposal. Note: These items are currently distributed via email. Please contact Christy McTait to request copies.
Stage 1: Cheat Sheet for New Applicants; Cheat Sheet for Reapplicants; CIHR Information and SPARC Recommendations (e.g., sentence prompts, content development tips, layout suggestions); Additional Tips for Applicant Groups (mid-career, biomedical, clinical, female applicants, etc.)
Stage 2: Application Template
- Sample Grant Library: Access successful grant applications that have been generously shared by UBC researchers using your UBC CWL.
Contact Christy McTait to schedule a Foundation Grant development consultation session, for example to discuss a brand-new application or strategize a resubmission.
- Stage 1: July/August 2018 (TBC)
- Stage 2: January 2019 (TBC)
Internal Review (scientific peer feedback)
- Stage 1: 1:1 virtual review with feedback on the Summary and Vision & Program Direction sections from a UBC Foundation Grant holder; 2018 review period TBD.
- Stage 2: 1:1 virtual review with feedback on the Research Concept, Research Approach and Expertise sections from a UBC Foundation Grant holder; 2018 review period TBD.
SPARC Review (editorial feedback)
- Stage 1: SPARC provides written feedback (e.g., suggestions to address content gaps, clarify meaning, improve readability and enhance impact) on the full application in order to strengthen the final submission; 2018 review period TBD.
- Note: If you are working with your own Faculty-/Institute-based grant facilitator or research office and receiving similar support (e.g., BCCHR), please make your own arrangements directly with them. This way, SPARC can maximize UBC researcher access to grant support by providing it to those who do not have local access.
- Stage 2: SPARC will aim to provide written feedback, at minimum, on the five scored sections of the application (Research Concept, Research Approach, Expertise, Mentorship & Training, Quality of Support Environment) or, ideally, the full application including Budget Justification, depending on the number of UBC applicants invited to Stage 2; 2018 review period TBD.
If you are getting ready to submit your application, please consult the following UBC and CIHR resources to confirm your requirements:
- UBC Office of Research Services – Agency Application Requirements & Procedures (note: if a specific "CIHR Foundation Grant" option is not available in the drop-down menu, refer instead to "CIHR eSubmission Procedures (Institutional e-Approval)" link for an overview)
- UBC Okanagan Office of Research Services – Applying for Funding and Internal Deadlines
- CIHR Foundation Grant Funding Opportunity webpage – refer to Submission Requirements in the How to Apply section
- Stage 1: early/mid-September 2018 (TBC)
- Stage 2: late January/early February 2019 (TBC)
CIHR introduced the Foundation Grant in 2014. The data below comes from CIHR's Foundation Grant Funding Decisions Notifications.
|Total Submitted - National||600||910||1366|
|Total Funded - National||76||120||150|
|Success Rate - National||13%||13%||11%|
|Total Funding - National||$199.7M||$323.2M||$408.9M|